The World Council of Churches, the Global Catholic Climate Movement, Operation Noah, Green Anglicans and GreenFaith invite faith organisations from around the world to join a global fossil fuel divestment announcement on 25 October 2021.
The global announcement, which will take place shortly after the UN biodiversity conference (COP15) and before the G20 Leaders’ Summit and UN climate talks (COP26), will emphasise the urgent moral imperative to divest from fossil fuels, given their destructive impacts on climate, biodiversity and human rights.
Fossil fuel divestment is a powerful act of faith that hundreds of religious institutions around the world have taken to respond to the climate emergency. It increases pressure on governments and financial institutions to end financing for the fossil fuel industry. Furthermore, an increasing number of faith investors are investing in solutions to the climate crisis, and providing access to clean, affordable energy, including zero-carbon energy solutions for the 800 million people without access to electricity.
Any groups interested in joining the announcement will confirm (i) that they have divested from fossil fuel investments; or (ii) that they will divest from any investments in fossil fuels as soon as possible, and within five years at the latest; or (iii) that they do not hold any fossil fuel investments and will not invest in fossil fuels in the future.
- For Catholic organisations, register the details of your commitment by completing this form. You can contact Svitlana Romanko (Global Catholic Climate Movement) on [email protected]
- For Churches and faith organisations in the UK, contact Bokani Tshidzu (Operation Noah) on [email protected]
- For Anglican institutions outside of the UK, contact Rev Canon Rachel Mash (Green Anglicans) on [email protected]
- For other Churches around the world, contact Henrik Grape (World Council of Churches) on [email protected]
- For other faith organisations around the world, contact abby mohaupt (GreenFaith) on [email protected]